[SATLUG] OT(?sorta) Linksys WCG200 - DHCP wrong (or bad) address with routing and NAT turned on

Jennie Haywood jehaywood at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 16:16:44 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:33 AM, ed <horned0wl93 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  >
>  > Thank you!  What's interesting is that the reported DHCP server for
>  > that 66 network is at 192.168.5.4.
>  >
>  Likely correct, depending on the default factory spec internal IP
>  address of your router.  192.168.xx.xx is the block of IANA-assigned
>  addresses for a NATed Class C network -- what you would have inside your

Yep... It's a private network.

>  router on your own network.  (What is your router's IP internal address?
>  What is your ISP-assigned IP address?)  Your router would be responsible
>  for assigning DHCP addresses within your network, and NATing them to
>  your external IP address.

See that's what I find odd.   The factory default on the Linksys
WCG200 for a router DHCP server is 192.168.0.1 (at least that's what
mine resets to when I reset it to factory defaults).
How I found the 192.168.5.4 address was by turning OFF the routing and
NATing on my Linksys and letting *their* DHCP set the  info on a
windoze box and looking at it with ipconfig /all.

This morning it was down again.  So I went thru the process of
turning off the routing and NATing to let their (Grande's) DHCP setup
the windoze box:

                                                        66.90.130.10

So I copied that to notepad and decided to see what would happen if  I
put the routing and NATing back on and let the router pick up a DHCP
address. It came up with a 24.155.114.XXX address.  Which *miracle of
miracles*  worked!    So I guess they fixed whatever was whigging out
with the DHCP.

Why couldn't the tech support guys just say there could be OR is a
routing issue and we are looking into it???
Why tell me that it's my hardware when I know full well it's NOT my hardware.

--
Jennie Haywood
----