[SATLUG] Downloading a youtube video and extracting only the audio

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 02:30:39 CDT 2008


I succesfully downloaded a youtube video in .flv format after lots of googling. However following directions to extract the audio has not worked for me with no obvious reasons to me why. I checked the video I download with VLC. It does have audio.

Here's what I've tried to extract the audio. On other places on the net, I saw the same two commands working for others. Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejb8QOyjz-E&

In order to get the video.flv, I did some tricky stuff with wget I found from google that worked! I just wished extracting the audio was as easy. Here's how I did it.

http://www.go2linux.org/wget-to-download-youtube-videos

Attempt #1


[chris at localhost tmp]$ mplayer -dumpaudio video.flv 
 MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
 CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (Family: 15, Model: 43, Stepping: 1)
 CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
 Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
 mplayer: could not connect to socket
 mplayer: No such file or directory
 Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
 
 Playing video.flv.
 libavformat file format detected.
 [lavf] Video stream found, -vid 0
 [lavf] Audio stream found, -aid 1
 VIDEO:  [FLV1]  320x240  0bpp  25.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
 Core dumped ;)
 
 Exiting... (End of file)
 [chris at localhost tmp]$

Attempt #2


[root at localhost tmp]# ffmpeg -i video.flv -f mp3 -vn -acodec copy carsounds2.mp3 
FFmpeg version SVN-r10703, Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --incdir=/usr/include/ffmpeg --libdir=/usr/lib64 --shlibdir=/usr/lib64 --mandir=/usr/share/man --arch=x86_64 --extra-cflags=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic --enable-liba52 --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libogg --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libxvid --enable-libx264 --enable-pp --enable-pthreads --disable-static --enable-shared --enable-gpl --disable-debug --disable-opts --disable-strip
  libavutil version: 49.5.0
  libavcodec version: 51.45.0
  libavformat version: 51.14.0
  built on Oct 18 2007 03:18:27, gcc: 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-31)

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 1000.00 (1000/1) -> 25.00 (25/1)
Input #0, flv, from 'video.flv':
  Duration: 00:09:58.7, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 56 kb/s
  Stream #0.0: Video: flv, yuv420p, 320x240, 25.00 fps(r)
  Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 22050 Hz, mono, 56 kb/s
Output #0, mp3, to 'carsounds2.mp3':
  Stream #0.0: Audio: libmp3lame, 22050 Hz, mono, 56 kb/s
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0.1 -> #0.0
Press [q] to stop encoding
size=    4188kB time=598.8 bitrate=  57.3kbits/s    
video:0kB audio:4188kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000746%
[root at localhost tmp]#

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you.


Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire at gmail.com>

SKYPE:	fakie_flip
AIM:	good bye300
IRC:	linux_user400354
LQ FORUMS AND YIM: fakie_flip
GTALK, JABBER AND MSN: recursivequicksort at jabber.org
       
---------------------------------
Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.


More information about the SATLUG mailing list