[SATLUG] 2 machines, same image, different result.

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Fri May 2 10:56:03 CDT 2008

> --- On Fri, 5/2/08, Don Crowder <donguitar at gmail.com> wrote:

>> What are the specs on the machines?  Are they identical?
 >

> Enrique Sanchez Vela wrote:
> yep, to the best of my knowledge... Intel pentimum 2.x Ghz, 512 RMB AM... , 40 GB HD.

The only hardware failure I can envision would be in the video card and
even that seems iffy.

I think I'd get the kids to back up any personal data they want to keep
to thumb drives (external HDD or CD) and do fresh installations of
Ubuntu 8.04.  It is, after all, a long term support (LTS) release and
most of the reviews I've seen have been very favorable.  I suppose you
could upgrade the "good" machine via synaptic and just do a fresh
install on the "bad" machine but my experiences with online distro
updates haven't been good. Where possible I like to start fresh but
maybe I'm just a paranoid.  :)
--
Don Crowder