[SATLUG] 2 machines, same image, different result.

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Sat May 3 17:54:14 CDT 2008

Enrique Sanchez Vela wrote:
> --- On Fri, 5/2/08, Don Crowder <donguitar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The only hardware failure I can envision would be in the
>> video card and
>> even that seems iffy.
>> I think I'd get the kids to back up any personal data
>> they want to keep
>> to thumb drives (external HDD or CD) and do fresh
>> installations of
>> Ubuntu 8.04.  It is, after all, a long term support (LTS)
>> release and
>> most of the reviews I've seen have been very favorable.
>>  I suppose you
>> could upgrade the "good" machine via synaptic and
>> just do a fresh
>> install on the "bad" machine but my experiences
>> with online distro
>> updates haven't been good. Where possible I like to
>> start fresh but
>> maybe I'm just a paranoid.  :)
>> --
>> Don Crowder
> Don,
> thnx for looking at this, the hw issue might be a good point as it fails miserably just the same in FC6/7 as in Ubuntu...
> how can I test?

Sorry Enrique, this exceeds my knowledge base.  In Windows I'd tell you
to fire up SIW (System Information for Windows) to find out what
hardware is in each machine and I'll bet there's a Linux analog of some
sort but I'm darned if I know what it is.  It's probably safe to assume
that the video is on-board with both of these machines (if it were a
card I'm sure you could have checked that out with google).  Maybe
someone else can suggest a way to get the onboard video specs.
> btw.. when I said the images were identical, I couldn't be lying any more, I ran a test with dkpg --list on both pcs and the output is so different that it scares me.

As I said, I've had mixed luck with online distro updates.  Maybe a
couple of fresh installs in in order after all.  On the other hand, we
just got back from our local HLLUG meeting and our "Linux guru" is very
unhappy with Ubuntu 8.04 so you might consider another distro.  Blag is
a very nice Fedora-based distro from Canada; my wife and her mom really
like PCLinuxOS, and I'm developing a fondness for Linux Mint.  On the
other hand, Debian Etch has been awfully good for me.  *sigh* My problem
isn't distro hopping, I've used Debian stable for over two years now,
but I do have issues with distro envy.  *grin*