[SATLUG] 2 machines, same image, different result.

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sat May 3 20:36:00 CDT 2008

First thing I would do is backup bookmarks then wipe the firefox
config for the user on the "bad" PC. Sometimes they can get corrupted
and cause weird behavior.  If that doesn't fix it, create a new user
and see if the problem persists.

You can compare hardware by running lspci on both machines.  It is
part of pciutils if it is not installed already.  As for the software,
make sure both of the /etc/apt/sources.list files are the same. If the
machines did not have the exact same package states when they were
dist upgraded then the end results will be different. You can sync the
packages by doing this:

1. On the "good" machine, run dpkg --get-selections > packages.txt
2. Copy packages.txt to the "bad" machine.
3. Run dpkg --set-selections < packages.txt
4. Run apt-get dselect-upgrade

That will at least make sure the same packages are installed, but any
user-specific configs will not be changed so you should test with a
fresh user.

-Henry

On 5/2/08, Enrique Sanchez Vela <esanchezvela at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> last year I bought 2 refurbished PCs for my kids and installed one with
> Ubuntu and the other with Fedora 6 then 7, finally moved it to Ubuntu after
> endless complains of the poor kid that her pc would boot slower, her sis'
> would look cool and 2 particular websites worked on her sis's computer but
> not on hers.
>
> the images are the same, I installed 6.10 then migrated to 7.04 now they
> both run 7.10, but the problem with the websites remain (they both use
> flash)....... and both fail w/o much debugging messages and obviously when I
> call these particular site contact info they both freak when I say "Linux"
> or Ubuntu... is there anything I can do to debug??
>
> I don't want to install winowze but the wife, who has sided with the dark
> force, has already began pushing me to install that crap.
>
> thnx.
> esv.

> http://wiki.ittoolbox.com/index.php/AIX_VIO_Database
>
> "Intelligence is like an underwear.
> It is important that you have it, but
> not necessary that you show it........"
>
> P++R+MO++MA+E+PUBDC++D++S+++X+WP-MO?PP+nCO--PO!o?GA---c!P5P?P6-Ee---Ev+Eo!uo+++uL+wm!os!

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay