[SATLUG] A boon for older hardware.

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Sun May 4 14:24:15 CDT 2008

Finding a distro that's nicely suited to older hardware has been
something of a personal crusade for me and I've tried, and ultimately
been displeased, with DSL, Puppy, Xubuntu and DeLi Linux.  I've tried
SaxenOS (and its predecessor who's name I've forgotten) in its previous
incarnation though I've yet to try its latest built-on-PCLinuxOS version
(it's on my list to try).

I'm currently excited about some new-to-me discoveries.  Both PC-BSD and
KateOS run lean, mean and fast on a 550 MHz P3 with 192 MB of RAM
(Compaq desktop) and Kate did a more than respectable job on my 500 MHz
Thinkpad (P3 w/256 MB of RAM) until the HDD cratered.  Yesterday I spent
some time tinkering with PCFluxboxOS (tinyflux) installed on a 466 MHz
Celeron with 384 MB of RAM (HP Pavilion 4445 w/4.2 MB HDD) and was very
impressed with it.  I've ordered a new HDD for my Thinkpad and am
looking forward to trying tinyflux on it.  If it doesn't run, it's great
knowing I can just switch back to Kate.

If you know of a distro that's well suited to older hardware I'd sure
appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks.