[SATLUG] A boon for older hardware.

Dennis Myhand dmyhand at suddenlink.net
Sun May 4 17:41:20 CDT 2008

Don Crowder wrote:
> Dennis Myhand wrote:
>> Don Crowder wrote:

> I suppose one could install Debian w/Xfce if one had the entire set of
> 21 CDs (or 3 DVDs though few older computers have DVD drives) but I
> don't recommend buying the media.  I bought a full set of Sarge CDs two
> weeks before Etch was released (talk about a "well, duh!" feeling) and
> that's not a mistake I care to repeat, especially with all the rumors of
> Lenny being moved into Stable "any day now".
>
> Those rumors have, thus far, kept me from switching to PCLinuxOS or
> Linux Mint.  Etch does everything I need it to do, smoothly,
> consistently, and with less hassle than I experienced in Windows but all
> the stuff I hear from my friends keeps me in a state of "distro envy",
> know what I mean?  :)

You don't need all 21 cds.  There is one cd to download and it installs
XFCE as the desktop.  Look here:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/

Go to the bottom of the list and look for:

debian-testing-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso

I also know about "distro envy."  I have a student who is into Linux and
keeps telling me about the latest one he is trying.  I have run Debian
since 2.1.  3.0 ran great on my 600MHz P-III.  I now have a more modern
amd64 3400+ with 2 gigs of ram and I don't worry about what I run, but I
stay with Debian.