[SATLUG] 2 machines, same image, different result.

Enrique Sanchez Vela esanchezvela at yahoo.com
Sun May 4 20:02:27 CDT 2008

--- On Sat, 5/3/08, Henry Pugsley <henry.pugsley at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Henry Pugsley <henry.pugsley at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] 2 machines, same image, different result.
> Date: Saturday, May 3, 2008, 9:36 PM
> First thing I would do is backup bookmarks then wipe the
> firefox
> config for the user on the "bad" PC. Sometimes
> they can get corrupted
> and cause weird behavior.  If that doesn't fix it,
> create a new user
> and see if the problem persists.
>
> You can compare hardware by running lspci on both machines.
>  It is
> part of pciutils if it is not installed already.  As for
> the software,
> make sure both of the /etc/apt/sources.list files are the
> same. If the
> machines did not have the exact same package states when
> they were
> dist upgraded then the end results will be different. You
> can sync the
> packages by doing this:
>
> 1. On the "good" machine, run dpkg
> --get-selections > packages.txt
> 2. Copy packages.txt to the "bad" machine.
> 3. Run dpkg --set-selections < packages.txt
> 4. Run apt-get dselect-upgrade
>
> That will at least make sure the same packages are
> installed, but any
> user-specific configs will not be changed so you should
> test with a
> fresh user.
>
> -Henry
>

> On 5/2/08, Enrique Sanchez Vela
> <esanchezvela at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > last year I bought 2 refurbished PCs for my kids and
> installed one with
> > Ubuntu and the other with Fedora 6 then 7, finally
> moved it to Ubuntu after
> > endless complains of the poor kid that her pc would
> boot slower, her sis'
> > would look cool and 2 particular websites worked on
> her sis's computer but
> > not on hers.
> >
> > the images are the same, I installed 6.10 then
> migrated to 7.04 now they
> > both run 7.10, but the problem with the websites
> remain (they both use
> > flash)....... and both fail w/o much debugging
> messages and obviously when I
> > call these particular site contact info they both
> freak when I say "Linux"
> > or Ubuntu... is there anything I can do to debug??
> >
> > I don't want to install winowze but the wife, who
> has sided with the dark
> > force, has already began pushing me to install that
> crap.
> >
> > thnx.
> > esv.

> > http://wiki.ittoolbox.com/index.php/AIX_VIO_Database
> >
> > "Intelligence is like an underwear.
> > It is important that you have it, but
> > not necessary that you show it........"
> >

> P++R+MO++MA+E+PUBDC++D++S+++X+WP-MO?PP+nCO--PO!o?GA---c!P5P?P6-Ee---Ev+Eo!uo+++uL+wm!os!

> "The best way to predict the future is to invent
> it" - Alan Kay

after realizing I had installed a windows based game on my daughter's computer (the one failing) and not the "good" one. I'll post the results once I find once again how to install the "right" flash player for this thing ;)

thanks all.
esv.
pd. Luis, if this thing keeps failing, I will swap the HDs and check again.