[SATLUG] A boon for older hardware.

Don Wright wmail at wricomp.com
Mon May 5 01:03:23 CDT 2008

> I bought a full set of Sarge CDs two
>weeks before Etch was released (talk about a "well, duh!" feeling) and
>that's not a mistake I care to repeat, especially with all the rumors of
>Lenny being moved into Stable "any day now".

If the machine you're installing has a supported network adapter for
Internet access, you can download as few CDs as you want and fetch all
other packages across the 'Net. That's how you update a system to the
current stable (or testing, etc.) release, too.

Oh, and the next Debian release "lenny" has a defined timeframe which is
nowhere close to "any day now". The people at DistroWatch are kind
enough to put a calendar of such major events at the bottom of every
DistroWatch Weekly. According to that, and the discussion on the Debian
Installer team list, you won't see a new Debian before Labor Day. (Based
on past experience, Halloween and Thanksgiving have a good chance, too.)