[SATLUG] A boon for older hardware.

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Mon May 5 01:27:40 CDT 2008

Don Wright wrote:
>> I bought a full set of Sarge CDs two
>> weeks before Etch was released (talk about a "well, duh!" feeling) and
>> that's not a mistake I care to repeat, especially with all the rumors of
>> Lenny being moved into Stable "any day now".
> If the machine you're installing has a supported network adapter for
> Internet access, you can download as few CDs as you want and fetch all
> other packages across the 'Net. That's how you update a system to the
> current stable (or testing, etc.) release, too.

Don, I don't have any sort of clue what a "supported network adapter" is
but Synaptic "updated" me from Sarge to Etch and that totally hosed my
computer.  I distro hopped for a few weeks before doing a fresh net
install and have been very pleased with Etch since then.

> Oh, and the next Debian release "lenny" has a defined timeframe which is
> nowhere close to "any day now". The people at DistroWatch are kind
> enough to put a calendar of such major events at the bottom of every
> DistroWatch Weekly.

   I visit Distrowatch every few days to check out the latest releases
but I guess I never read to the bottom of the weekly.  I'll start doing

> According to that, and the discussion on the Debian
> Installer team list, you won't see a new Debian before Labor Day. (Based
> on past experience, Halloween and Thanksgiving have a good chance, too.)

With age comes perspective grasshopper.  Thanksgiving is "any day now"
to me.

Thanks for the info.
Don Crowder