[SATLUG] A boon for older hardware.

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Mon May 5 09:20:57 CDT 2008

Don Crowder wrote:
> Don Wright wrote:
>> If the machine you're installing has a supported network adapter for
>> Internet access, you can download as few CDs as you want and fetch
>> all other packages across the 'Net. That's how you update a system to
>> the current stable (or testing, etc.) release, too.
>
> Don, I don't have any sort of clue what a "supported network adapter"
> is but Synaptic "updated" me from Sarge to Etch and that totally hosed
> my computer.  I distro hopped for a few weeks before doing a fresh net
> install and have been very pleased with Etch since then.

A 'supported network adapter' is any nic (Network Interface Card) that
is natively recognized in a Linux environment.

Therefore, when you load up a 'live cd' into the cd tray of your system,
boot from said cd, the OS has to be able to automagically detect and
setup the nic in the system.  When it goes 'live' (get's an ipaddress)
it is then known as a 'supported network adapter' (that'd be the card
where the ethernet cable is plugged into).