[SATLUG] A boon for older hardware.

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Mon May 5 10:06:15 CDT 2008

Geoff wrote:

> A 'supported network adapter' is any nic (Network Interface Card) that
> is natively recognized in a Linux environment.
>
> Therefore, when you load up a 'live cd' into the cd tray of your system,
> boot from said cd, the OS has to be able to automagically detect and
> setup the nic in the system.  When it goes 'live' (get's an ipaddress)
> it is then known as a 'supported network adapter' (that'd be the card
> where the ethernet cable is plugged into).

You know, I've installed several distros on various Intel and AMD
systems ranging between 66 MHz and 1800 MHz and I've only encountered
one desktop which didn't pick up my wired connection as it booted up.
In that instance I grabbed a 3Com NIC out of my junk drawer and swapped
it for the extant card, solving the problem.  Wired ethernet support in
Linux seems, on the face of it, to be almost the reciprocal of wireless
support in Linux.  Mind you, I was smiling when I typed that.

Thanks Geoff.  Nomenclature is a major stumbling block for me as I have
no IT or computer experience in my background.  I was an LMR bench
technician for 25 years, acquired my first Win98 box with a modem during
the last five and never took the cover off a computer before 2006 (a few
days after I tried my first Ubuntu live CD).  Since then I've been
dog-paddling as fast as I can but the current is swift and getting faster.