[SATLUG] Need a little help finding a keyboard shortcut:

John Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Tue May 6 22:47:47 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 06 May 2008 14:01:47 Ed Coates wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Ed Coates <edcoates at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 8:13 AM, John Choate <jdchoate at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  >  > The key combination seems to be
> >  >  > Left-Ctl, Left-Alt, Numlock to turn it on, and then the same to
> >  >  > turn it off.  I tried it on the right, and it didn't work.
> >  >  >
> >  >  > Ed
> >  >
> >  >  I use KDE exclusively and tried that. It did nothing except to turn
> >  > Numlock on and off, making the arrow keys on 2,4,6 & 8 available for
> >  > scrolling... no mouse movement at all. No different than just pressing
> >  > Numlock alone. The same goes when using the right-side Ctrl + Alt +
> >  > Numlock.
> >  >  I also tried Alt-F12, which seemed to do nothing at all.
> >
> >  I should really proof read what I type.  The key combination is:
> >
> >  Left-Shift, Left-Alt, Numlock
>
> New wrinkle.  I was testing out the key combination using NX to my
> machine at home.  It seems that this mouse through the keypad
> combination is either tied to my laptop (IBM Thinkpad T41p) and/or
> Window XP.  I'll have to sit down in front of the Ubuntu Box at home
> and try it.
>
> Ed

Ok, now I've got it.
You must have tried it once before (tested it out, maybe?). When I do that key
combo it brings up a dialog warning of mouse-key activation, asking if you
want to go through with the change. There is an option for having it not warn
before the activation in future uses, but it must be purposely selected and
is not active as the default choice.