[SATLUG] An AT (antique computer) question

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Wed May 7 18:39:29 CDT 2008

Don Crowder wrote:
> I'm tinkering with an old AT whitebox (Cyrix M-II 333) which has two
> RAM slots for typical 66 MHz RAM cards, the type of cards which go
> into the slot at a roughly 45 degree angle and lock in place when the
> card is raised to 90 degrees.  Right next to those RAM sockets is what
> looks like an ordinary PC100 RAM slot (I'm guessing I should have
> typed PC66 but that's only conjecture on my part as I've never seen
> one).  What's the story on that third, different slot?  Does anyone know?

Hey Don, I think that socket is to take an external CPU buffer. As I
recall the slot does not have the clamp-downs at each end and I think
only had a single divider about 1/3 the way from one end.

> Next, the thing doesn't have enough onboard video RAM to get above
> four-bit, 640 X 480 resolution.  I plugged in a PCI video card but
> couldn't make it work.  I couldn't find any reference to video in the
> bios and couldn't find a physical jumper either.  It's got two PCI
> slots and two AGP slots but I don't have an AGP video card.  Suggestions?

Hmmmm I don't think AGP goes back that far are you sure they are not ISA
slots. Also just a note is that a lot of those older mobo's only have an
mfg's ID on the bottom side of the card. So yes you have to remove the
card to even look, but if you had the jumper data printed then should be
able to find a ID# somewhere.

Also I recall for a very short time a really bad design for 'Plug-in'
was used where there was two sections like the ISA but using the smaller
pins. That design was short lived and junk when it was being used
because of compatibility issues but this was used for video cards and sound.