[SATLUG] yahoo and pidgin

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Thu May 8 11:28:24 CDT 2008

I think I'm starting to see a trend, here...

Anyone on Time-Warner seems to have issues with pidgin and yahoo, on a
Linux system.
(I specify, because just to verify to myself, I fired up the Winders
box, and sure enough, yahoo connected right up, to the same server
(csc.msg.yahoo.com port:5050)) ... but any other ISP seems to be work
flawlessly.

Now, I know that sounds contradictory... My Linux desktop is on my
server.  The LAN server doles out ip addresses and acts as
router/gateway/firewall, etc... so, if the Windows box can get in, and
be seen (using Trillian, also a non-standard multi-client chat program)
and not see Pidgin on the Linux destop, even though the Linux desktop is
on the system that feeds the Winders box.

What's -really- screwy to me is, sometimes yahoo on pidgin works, and
sometimes it doesn't.

What could be causing the 'intermittent'?