[SATLUG] OT: sata on osx

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu May 8 14:54:11 CDT 2008

Jeremy Mann wrote:

> Sorry Nate, I should have mentioned this is a PCI Promise SATA card.
> What I want to do is take them out of my server and move them to the
> Mac. Obviously reformatting them with HFS+. I'm just wondering if the
> Mac will even boot off a PCI SATA card.

You're not really booting off the SATA drive.  You're booting off the SATA
card, which is connected to the drive.

In theory, the Mac should be able to boot off compatible SATA cards, because
the newer Mac Pros do that already.  Whether or not this particular card is
compatible with your particular Mac is a different issue.