[SATLUG] yahoo and pidgin

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Fri May 9 12:01:39 CDT 2008

Geoff wrote:
> Gabriel Doss wrote:
>
>> This may have been a typo on your part, but isn't the server
>> scs.msg.yahoo.com, not csc.msg.yahoo.com?
>>

> typo on my part.
>
> Pidgin has no problem connecting to MSN, ICQ, AIM... but yahoo is a
> crap-shoot.  It -used- to work, and then there were problems from a
> previous encounter but it seemed to straighten itself out.
>
> Why, when connecting to the same server though, would it connect on the
> winders box with Trillian (another non-standard yahoo IM client, along
> with all the others) on a computer in the same LAN?
>
> 192.168.xx.2 (winders XP) connects, but 192.168.xx.1 (SuSE Linux)
> doesn't, while 192.168.xx.1connects to everything else?
>
> Next step is to boot .2 into Ubuntu, and setup Pidgin there to connect
> to Yahoo and see if it does.
>
> Stay tuned...

I' m on Roadrunner, have a small hybrid network hanging off a
Cisco/Linksys router, with a Windoze 2K server running Trillian and both
remote Linux Ubuntu (7.10) boxes (a laptop and an older tower) running
Pidgin.  I'm not seeing any problems connecting to any of the popular IM
networks on either app.  Could your problem possibly be machine/load
specific?

Cheers;
Ed