[SATLUG] yahoo and pidgin

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri May 9 22:24:18 CDT 2008

On 5/9/08, Geoff wrote:

>>  Stay tuned...
>
>  And, it connects flawlessly.
>
>  Thoughts?

Two thoughts occur to me.

First, many load balancing switches will effectively hash the
incoming connections based on their source IP address, and always
connect the same incoming source IP address with the same back-end
server.  This is for efficiency reasons, among others.

Maybe you're getting hashed to a bad back-end server?  Have you tried
switching IP addresses on the same machine, and then trying?  Have
you tried switching another machine to the IP address you're
currently having problems with, and seeing what happens?

The second thought that occurs to me is that they might have decided
that they were somehow seeing excessive abuse from your IP address,
and added you to a firewall block list, maybe one that is specific to
their chat servers.

Regretfully, if one of these two scenarios is applicable to your
case, I can't think of a test that you could perform on your end that
would allow you to tell the difference between the two, although you
have already discovered that if you go to a different machine/IP
address, that seems to work okay.

So, that might have to become your effective long-term solution.