[SATLUG] openoffice issue

John Chalinder argiod at bresnan.net
Sat May 10 11:18:26 CDT 2008

not sure how to defrag RAM on a linux box... on my Redmond box it's fairly
simple using System Mechanic.

RAM tends to get fragmented, just like a hd, with use. When you reboot, it
automatically comes up clean again. A lot of stuff is left in RAM even after
the program using it is no longer running, except for the rare program written
by a kind programmer who has written automatic cleanup routines into the
program. Most however, are sloppy and leave 'artifacts' behind. If you notice
the problem doesn't occur until you've been running the system for a while,
it's probably the cause.

Increasing virtual memory can help by giving your programs more space to trade
out segments of code in the swap file. This will help if you keep several
programs running at the same time. Some programs automatically latch onto a
given amount of vitual memory (swap file) and do not release them when
finished. These usually don't get wiped from virtual mem until the next
bootup.

Take note if the problem occures soon after bootup, or only after you've been
working for a while, or when you have multiple programs going, or after having
used several programs that may have left junk behind. If the problem happens
when you use open office before any other programs, then my advice is probably
wrong. But I've had this sort of problem on my Window$ box with other
programs, and the fix is usually one of the two I suggested.

In any case, it can't hurt to give it a shot. Find out how much virtual mem
open office uses, and bump your vm to accomodate. This will give it full,
exclusive access to as much as it needs. Every time I add a new program I
usually bump the vm by at least half the program's base requirement.