[SATLUG] openoffice issue

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat May 10 15:05:06 CDT 2008

John Chalinder wrote:
> not sure how to defrag RAM on a linux box... on my Redmond box it's
> fairly simple using System Mechanic.
>
> RAM tends to get fragmented, just like a hd, with use. When you reboot,
> it automatically comes up clean again. A lot of stuff is left in RAM
> even after the program using it is no longer running, except for the
> rare program written by a kind programmer who has written automatic
> cleanup routines into the program. Most however, are sloppy and leave
> 'artifacts' behind. If you notice the problem doesn't occur until you've
> been running the system for a while, it's probably the cause.

Is this April 1st?  It is called *RANDOM* Access Memory because all accesses
take the same amount of time.  That is the nature of the hardware.  There could
be some issues with cache hits and cache organization, but that would only occur
in *very* special cases.

If stuff is left in RAM after the process exits, the kernel doesn't care what is
left in memory.  It is just marked as unused.  You don't leave 'artifacts' behind.

I don't know where you come up with this stuff unless you think it is just a
joke.  If so, it wasn't apparent.

   -- Bruce