[SATLUG] RE:Openoffice Problems

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon May 12 10:43:22 CDT 2008

> hmm.. Just a thought.. do you have automatic updates turned on in OO?
> Sometimes, a function or call.. you know... gets changed ever so slightly
> and it throws things out of whack.

That's a good idea. I have Check for updates automatically (Every Week)
turned on, but I am not sure if it actually updates automatically.
There is an option called "Download updates automatically" which is
not checked. I don't recall it ever asking me to install anything.

> I've had similar Java problems with other apps (in Linux and MS)... Java can
> be a haughty mistress... sometimes the symptoms are totally random.  Java
> itself does handle memory differently than say C++.  No matter what Java
> promises about memory allocation... there's still the chance of a memory
> leak.  I'm no expert but when Java is in the mix the chance of  "screwiness"
> happening seems to double.

Yes, I do agree with this.

-Borries