[SATLUG] distro recomnedation

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Tue May 13 19:21:27 CDT 2008

toddwbucy wrote:
> need a distro recommendation for my father's ancient computer.  Its a
> PIII with 256 mb of ram and a 6 gig hard drive.  I tried Ubuntu but its
> way to bloated for this box. was thinking of puppy but I haven't tried
> it out yet on my test box at home.  Basic software requirements are
> firefox, OO, and skype.
>
> oh yeah is there a F/OSS alternative to windows messenger. My step-mom
> uses it for her chat and support groups and does not want to have to
> change her ID.

Todd, you didn't say what the clock speed is but I'll assume it's
probably 500 MHz or faster, in which case, I know of three good distros
you might try.

1.	Not just the first I'm listing, it's the one I like best.
	Tinyflux (PCFLuxboxOS) is very nice.
	http://pcfluxboxos.wikidot.com/tinyflux

2.	PC-BSD is lean, mean, fast, has a great selection of
	popular software and uses KDE!   http://www.pcbsd.org/

3.	KateOS has slightly fewer software choices, uses Xfce
	and is also quite fast.   http://www.kateos.org/

I've tried all of these on a 466 MHz Celeron with 256 MB of RAM and on a
550 MHz P3 with 192 MB of RAM.  All three ran great on the P3 while only
Tinyflux and KateOS ran well on the Celeron.