[SATLUG] Asterisk

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Thu May 15 09:44:49 CDT 2008

Ric Bunger wrote:
> I'm fairly new to satlug & a linux novice.  As I watched the satlug
> email exchanges a couple weeks back, one of you mentioned a
> proficiency (or at least a familiarity) with Asterisk --now I can't
> find that email.  I need to talk to that person about Asterisk.  Can
> you guys put me in touch?  If you are that person and reading this,
> would you please contact me?
>
> Thanks,
> Ric
> ricb at gvtc.com
Ric, go here http://www.satlug.org/
look to left for search/Mailing List Archive
<http://www.satlug.org/pipermail/satlug>
http://www.satlug.org/pipermail/satlug/2007-December.txt

Link above is first hit I had searching text

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 02:06:29PM -0600, Brad Knowles wrote:
>> Get a real VoIP/SIP client, not a proprietary VOIP-like program.  The
>> Gizmo Project has a Linux client (see
>
> Yeah, I'd get a SIP client - there are many.  You can also get a
> Sipura ATA adapter that lets you use regular everyday "hard" phones.
> I plugged my apartment wiring into one, so the whole apartment was one
> extension.  Then I had the Sipura register with Asterisk.  Then
> Asterisk could register with anything online; I liked FWD because they
> spoke IAX which is easier to get through a firewall than SIP.  I also
> put a $7 IA-92 modem in the asterisk box so that I could use my POTS line.
>
> When people would call the regular POTS line, Asterisk could check
> caller ID.  If there wasn't any, it did the tele-zapper/zap-a-tel
> trick.  It then gave them a voice menu which told them whether I'd be
> awake and around or not, and let them choose to ring me or leave voice
> mail.  I never got a single telemarketing call.
>
> Nowadays I wouldn't bother with a POTS telephone line.  Use VoIP for
> $5/mo and use cell if your WAN link is down.  If you need more
> reliability, get two broadband connections and do automatic failover.
>
> Fun stuff.

Who do you use for your SIP minutes? I've wanted to dork around with
asterisk and do that fun stuff, but I've not been able to find a decent
SIP provider. I'd like to get 3 lines, give out only one of the numbers,
use the other two lines to ring our cell phones and then use the
voicemail detection stuff to figure out who answered, or if nobody did
use asterisk's voicemail thing. it'd rule. Mostly I just want to play

with it :)

HTH
herb