[SATLUG] Solaris by Sun Micro

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu May 15 21:37:23 CDT 2008

On 5/15/08, John Chalinder wrote:

>  Thankfully, it was only the typical 15 minutes to reinstall Ubuntu and
>  the typical 5 minutes to fully update, to return to my fully functional,
>  friendly Ubuntu system.

Obviously, your install did not go well.  Without further
information, it's hard to tell what may have gone wrong.

However, try putting yourself in the shoes of someone on the other side.

Knowing what you know about Ubuntu, what would you say to a person
knowledgeable about Solaris who tried Ubuntu but then got exactly the
same kind of problems as you had with Solaris, and then gave up?

Although it is possible that Solaris is not compatible with your
hardware, I am not at all convinced you gave Solaris a fair try.
Certainly, I've had plenty of problems with various distributions on
various pieces of hardware, but that doesn't mean that their
platforms are total trash and everybody should be forced to throw
them away.

You're like one of the blind men who has encountered the Solaris
Elephant for the first time, and when you feel a rope-like object in
your hand, you conclude that you know all you need to know about an
Elephant and you walk away.

Now, you may still feel you don't need to give Solaris another try.
That's fine, that choice is entirely up to you.  But you shouldn't be
making snap judgements across the board without having a lot more
experience, especially since there may be some others out there who
see your comments and conclude they don't even need to try it -- on
false grounds.

I use Solaris quite extensively at work.  And I have four Sun
Ultra-10 clones sitting in a storage facility right now, waiting for
me to get enough space and time to bring them out and set up my own
micro-cluster.

Sun Solaris, HP HP-UX, IBM AIX, are the three leading commercial
versions of Unix, and they're all pretty much rock-solid.  For any
mission-critical production network, I'd choose any of them over any
freely available OS (including my favourite, FreeBSD), or any
commercial distribution based on a freely available OS (e.g., RHEL).

However, I will agree that they don't tend to have as much freely
available software made or built for them.  For Solaris, you can
always install the SunFreeware or Blastwave packages, but those
aren't as extensive as the packages available for most Linux
distributions.  Historically, that kind of thing has not been the
focus for commercial versions of Unix -- they're all about stability,
manageability, robustness, etc....  So, you're just not going to see
as much software available for them.

Personally, I'm not sure about Sun's attempt to go open source.
They've tried to support Intel and other non-SPARC hardware in the
past, but they were never committed to that path, and they never
bothered to make patches as widely available for the Intel/non-SPARC
platforms, they never bothered to work with their third-party
developers to get software ported over and as widely available,
etc....

In particular, I know that the just-released "Indiana" stuff is not
yet fully baked.  Try the older Solaris 10 for Intel stuff instead.
That works much more like "real" Solaris.  They have more work they
need to do on "Indiana" before it will look and feel right.