[SATLUG] Solaris by Sun Micro

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Fri May 16 14:21:47 CDT 2008

If you look at the original post, the article which makes that statement is
comparing OpenSolaris (Indiana) to Ubuntu, not 'not-so-open' Solaris 10.  In
my response, I compare OpenSolaris (Indiana) to Ubuntu.  I don't think
anyone mentioned Solaris 10 until your first response.  Either way, I won't
discredit Solaris (pre-Indiana) from being a rock solid platform (as I
mentioned before.)  What is at issue here is whether or not Sun's new
attempt to move toward a more open and robust (application variety/packages)
OS with Open Solaris (Indiana) is even comparable to Ubuntu, much less
'impressionable' to Ubuntu.  The answer in that department (as it stands
now) is a flat out no.  Whether this will change in the future is dependent
on a lot of factors, most importantly the community recruitment and
involvement factor (which have been tepid at best to date.)  It is also
worth noting that Solaris has made the attempt to be more 'Linux-like,' not
the other way around.

Ernest

Ernest de Leon
http://www.smbtechadvice.com