[SATLUG] Fedora 9

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Fri May 16 18:49:07 CDT 2008

John Pappas wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Daniel Givens <daniel at rugmonster.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 12:27 AM, luis <luis at luisgarza.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As a server, I don't trust it just yet.  I installed the server and I
>>> needed a ton of updates.
>>>

> No OS has overcome the problem of updates.  Remember that unlike other
> platforms, the "Update" methodology includes a MUCH wider range of
> software, including the Kernel, Drivers, Compilers, Userspace
> programs, server programs (webservers, file servers, FTP, LDAP, etc),
> and all the other stuff installed on the box.  Most other "update"
> methodologies are far less capable: ie in Windows, WSUS only does the
> OS, every other installed app/driver/etc has a separate update
> methodology (Reinstall, Check for updates, beg/pray, pay, etc), and
> usually the "owner" has to remember to run each separately (PITA).
> Even though there are "a ton", it is far better than "a ton all over
> the place in 6 different GUI management tools"
>

>> Why are the number of updates bad? I would be worried if I installed
>> any release of Linux in any flavor older than three months and didn't
>> get more than a handful of updates.
>>

> Agreed.  With the scope of capabilities available and the granularity
> of control, there better be a non-trivial number of updates.  In a
> monopolistic OS, the vendor has the "luxury" of rolling up the
> "Updates" into few packages or service packs/releases, and again the
> scope is smaller, thus the number of updates is also.
>
> After reading this post over, I am not sure that I properly conveyed
> my message, but I hope that I came close.
> jp

Yes you nailed it, thanks John ... I have no programming skills other
than the pointy-draggy-clickey merging of a script that is really
obvious and being an isolated user I was always killed off trying to run
Linux from RedHat 4.x simply cause it was broke and I couldn't do a
thing. but since a yr ago I have only booted Win ME to retrieve an old
file stored there waiting for me to finally move it.

So installing Ubuntu 7.04 I finally got up nerve to upgrade to 7.10 only
after asking this list about it. It went smooth as silk and although it
had only been a few weeks since release, the update manager asked to
update over 130 items. Well whatever it did was right on. Not a burp
occurred.  I stand impressed. Also I was not asked a single
unintelligible question about configuration or sys-op setting or the
dreaded .. if you do not know ask your systems admin"!

Sure ask, I already know my SA is dumb as a box of rocks.

So running 7.10 has been just plain cool, every few days it tells me I
have updates available, I read every one sometimes even going to the man
page or logging in on the developers page. most of the time I read
nothing that clicks light into the Linux user's Learning Curve but now
and then I do. I think it pays off to check it out, after all someone
cared enough to do it .... free.

OT note:
I wonder what it would be like if our system of governance followed the
same rules as OpenSource? Instead we get auto updated with broken U S
Code secretly.
Herb