[SATLUG] RAID 5 and 0

Daniel Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sat May 17 00:23:24 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Tweeks <tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org> wrote:
> If you want the speed of RAID-0 but the reliability of RAID-5, then you're
> looking for RAID-10 (a bunch of RAID-1 mirrors striped into a big RAID-0).
> This will get you the best of both worlds.. (speed and high availability)
> The down site is the cost.  Basically, you only get the 1/2 the space all of
> the raw drives (i.e. 4 1TB drives in a RAID-10 yield only 2TB).
> Oh.. while you're at it.. if it's speed you're after, you'll also want your
> RAID card to feature battery backed up cache RAM and write through cache
> config in the card config.  LSI and Vortex cards are pretty nice.

I am extemely pleased with my desktop's setup. It's got four 160GB
Seagate SATA2 drives on a 3ware 9650SE 4 port PCIe-4x controller
(http://3ware.com/products/serial_ata2-9650.asp) with battery backup
unit configured as RAID-10. It's very fast, but it wasn't cheap to put
together. I hate waiting on disk I/O, so I splurged.

Oh, the other very compelling reason to go RAID-10 over RAID-5 despite
the usable space loss is if you do lose a disk, your performance won't
be hit as hard as it would with a degraded RAID-5 volume.