[SATLUG] System Clock Weirdness

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat May 17 21:59:44 CDT 2008

On 5/17/08, John Simmons wrote:

>  When I boot into Linux (it doesn't matter what distro), and then boot
>  back into Windows, my system clock (in Windows) is several hours off
>  from the correct time).  If I set the clock to the correct time in
>  Windows, and then reboot into Linux, the time is still correct.  Does
>  anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

Known problem.  See
<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/TimePrecision-HOWTO/set.html>.  I found
this with a few minutes of Googling for "Linux Windows system clock".
Unfortunately, this link was one that I found via the page at
<http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137> and doesn't
show up in the top ten links directly returned by Google.

Of course, this just covers the hwclock problem, and doesn't cover
the issue of keeping your clock accurate once you're up and running
-- that would be a result of using NTP.  Let me know if you want any
guidance on that.