[SATLUG] Fedora 9

Daniel Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sun May 18 11:44:50 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 4:40 AM, Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I followed your suggestion. I'm using the Fedora 9 on usb right now. This is very nice, puts all others to shame. There's a problem preventing me from going F9. I've got an 8800 GTS by Nvidia. I don't have cash right now to buy another graphics card. The nvidia driver and the xorg in F9 are not playing nicely together. I've got several apps in F8 using 3d acceleration. I got the Nvidia before I discovered that Nvidia would be last to go open source if they ever do, and it could take ATI a while. Nvidia is still in the lead with performance, but I'd be willing to sacafrice a little performance and go with ATI if I had the money, and their drivers were open source already. I tried to register on nvidia forums but received no email about my registration or "forgot password" link. I'll be waiting for a new driver version from Nvidia, and I'm pretty disappointed with them.

When I was shopping for my laptop, one of my requirements was that it
have Intel graphics rather than Nvidia or ATI. I had to finally accept
that no matter how much I enjoy PC gaming, I just don't have time for
it anymore. Not only would the Intel integrated 965GM be sufficient to
run a 3d accelerated composited window manager, I won't have to worry
about incompatibility should I decide I want to run a Xen kernel.

I'm sure that the Fedora team will get the issues I've had with compiz
fusion and my chipset in a short time and I'll gladly upgrade. I think
I'm most eager to get the new version of Tomboy. I tend to use Tomboy
quite frequently, but my collection of notes is getting unwieldly, so
I'm very much looking forward to have the ability to organize them
into "notebooks".

~Daniel