[SATLUG] VoIP service recommendations?

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Mon May 19 10:40:01 CDT 2008

I'm looking for a free/cheap VoIP service that I can use for full
testing of Asterisk to evaluate its operation in my house.  I do not
want to have to pay $19.99/mo for something that I may only use all of
one month, but want the capability to upgrade to a full paid plan
should VoIP prove to not be a hair pulling headache inducing

Right now I'm looking for the absoloute basics, ability to send and
receive calls.  Caller ID is a plus, but I'm more concerned about the
ability to send and receive calls to landlines. I managed to find my
freedigits phone number, but they don't have any place on their site
to see about any calls originating from the freedigits line to a POTS
line. There's another website, the name escapes me right now that
looked promising, but I'm not sure if it's legit or not.

All I want to do is to be able to receive calls from any
landline/cell/VoIP customer in the USA and call any landline/cell/VoIP
in the USA.  International calls do not concern me.

Any recommendations?

Thank you.