[SATLUG] Asterisk

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon May 19 14:59:51 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 7:57 PM, David Kowis <dkowis at shlrm.org> wrote:
> John Pappas wrote:
> | What do you need to know?  I am no expert, but I have been using
> | Asterisk in a production environment for about 3 years.  We use a PRI
> | card for PSTN here, but I have used it with plain IAX or SIP for
> | trunking and SIP for endpoint connections.
>
> What hardware did you use to get phones to the desks? Or are you using
> SIP phones? Or soft phones?

The handsets are mostly Polycom IP501 with PoE from the comm closet
switch, there are a couple others (Polycom IP601, Aastra 480CT
wireless, Snom 220).  Some of the windows users have CounterPath
EyeBeam soft phones, I have used Twinkle and KPhone with success on
Linux.  I understand that Gizmo might also be a workable solution, but
I did not try it.

> I'd like to personally buy some SIP minutes from a provider and play
> around with asterisk, as it's neat. VOIP for the win :D

I believe that sipnumber.com is free for a SIP account (inbound
number, more than 1 hour outbound is $).  I am going to be playing
with Trixbox (used to be Asterisk at Home) to set up a VM system for
testing, so I can keep you apprised of progress.

jp