[SATLUG] VoIP service recommendations?

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon May 19 15:29:01 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:40 AM, FIRESTORM_v1 <firestorm.v1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a free/cheap VoIP service that I can use for full
> testing of Asterisk to evaluate its operation in my house.  I do not
> want to have to pay $19.99/mo for something that I may only use all of
> one month, but want the capability to upgrade to a full paid plan
> should VoIP prove to not be a hair pulling headache inducing
> nightmare.

SipNumber.com for testing (limited/cheap outbound calling) has been
reasonable for me, and I use TelIAX.com for IAX (and SIP, but I use
IAX) connectivity.

> All I want to do is to be able to receive calls from any
> landline/cell/VoIP customer in the USA and call any landline/cell/VoIP
> in the USA.  International calls do not concern me.
>
> Any recommendations?

SIPNumber.com for low use
TelIAX.com for pay-as-you-go (or pay/month, but I find that the
$5/number and $.02/min is not bad)  Advantage here is multiple
channels (simultaneous calls).

I am sure that that there are others, but those are the BYOG (Bring
your own gear) providers that I like.

HTH,
jp