[SATLUG] overheating

Dennis Myhand dmyhand at suddenlink.net
Tue May 20 06:51:05 CDT 2008

Chris Lemire wrote:
> My computer has been overheating and immediately powering off when
> playing a game on high or full settings for 20-45 minutes. I am not
> certain whether it is the graphics card or the cpu. I have 3 case fans
> in my computer besides the many others, but I think stock cooling must
> not be enough. How can
> I know which part caused the power down?
> - --
If you can power up right after it shuts down, go into the system BIOS
and look at the system health status.
It will show whether the processor or motherboard is getting too hot.
You could also install MotherBoard Monitor 5,
from the good folks at Major Geeks.  You will need to check to see if
your board is supported.  I can't seem to
locate the MotherBoard Monitor site right now but the software can get
you to it..  You should also physically check
the motherboard and look for swelled or burst capacitors.  I am still
finding these even though I have heard that the
bad ones have passed from the system.

Major Geeks:   http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311