[SATLUG] overheating

Daniel Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Tue May 20 07:26:44 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 6:14 AM, Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My computer has been overheating and immediately powering off when
> playing a game on high or full settings for 20-45 minutes. I am not
> certain whether it is the graphics card or the cpu. I have 3 case fans
> in my computer besides the many others, but I think stock cooling must
> not be enough. How can
> I know which part caused the power down?

Get the lm-sensors package (apt-get install lm-sensors or yum install
lm_sensors) and run sensors-detect as root or equivalent. Once the
proper kernel modules have been loaded, you can run sensors to get the
current temps. Just look at your standard running temp. it's idle
you're CPU is over 60C, you're running too hot. It's not unheard of to
see a 20C jump in CPU temps during high load.

If you want to isolate just the processor, check out this page for cpu burn-in:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/

If you have a multicore processor, you'll need to spawn multiple
instances of it equal to the number of cores you have to max out each
core and get a good result. If everything goes without problem there,
then it's probably your video. I know the ATI and Nvidia control panel
software has a temperature gauge in it, but I don't know about it's
recording abilities. You can probably find the temps in a raw format
in /proc/acpi/ somewhere.

Hope this helps
Daniel