[SATLUG] overheating

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Tue May 20 09:05:05 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 06:49 -0500, Charles Hogan wrote:
> If I were to hazard a guess, I would start out by beefing up the CPU
> fan, especially if you've got stock cooling there.

I agree. That is the first place you should look if your machine is
shutting down. Make sure you have enough thermal compound between your
processor and heat sink and make sure that your fan is working. Worst
case scenario, buy a third party HSF.

An overheating GPU normally won't shut your computer down, it will start
glitching (visually) and you won't be able to keep your framerate up.

Also, while you have the 'puter open you might want to re-seat all your
power cables on your motherboard, just in case.