[SATLUG] overheating

Don Crowder donguitar at gmail.com
Tue May 20 12:38:24 CDT 2008

Chris Lemire wrote:
> My computer has been overheating and immediately powering off when
> playing a game on high or full settings for 20-45 minutes. I am not
> certain whether it is the graphics card or the cpu. I have 3 case fans
> in my computer besides the many others, but I think stock cooling must
> not be enough. How can
> I know which part caused the power down?

If the fans all seem to be running I'd remove the cpu heatsink and fan,
remove the fan, clean the heatsink, clean the fan, clean the underside
of the heatsink and top of the CPU with 91% isopropyl alcohol (available
in HEB) down to bare metal.  Then I'd put it all back together with some
good quality heatsink compound (Arctic Silver is really good
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm ) and try it again.  If the problem
recurs, and you have physical space for it, try beefing up the cooling
on your video card.  Google can keep you busy for hours on this topic
but it could be as simple as adding one of these gadgets:

If better video card cooling doesn't get it done then you may need to go
beyond conventional CPU cooling but that's another topic that will
boggle your mind when you google it.

Be cool dood