Daniel Villarreal dvprogs at gmail.com
Wed May 21 10:21:20 CDT 2008

I had worked for some major ISPs in New York for a few years and was amazed
at their approaches to the network, and DOCSIS in particular.  As a
mysterious linux geek told me at a local LUG meeting in NY, "things aren't
as they seem."

I have a funny story...
I once had an apartment on the Northside near work where it was usual to get
pizza flyers under the door often... I always threw them out. One day my
internet was out. I ended up calling up the ISP and another ISP had taken
over the internet in the complex and their idea of notifying me was, yup,
you guessed it, pizza-style flyers! I left that apartment at the end of my
lease and when they asked why I was leaving, I told them that they had all
my contact information and should have contacted me properly and that I
wasn't impressed with the way the transition for the internet switch went.