[SATLUG] Fedora 9

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 16:15:37 CDT 2008

Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron at camerontech.com> wrote: On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 00:27 -0500, luis wrote:
>  Fedora, as a server, has always worked for me.  But I do admit that I
> have had a few problems setting them up as desktop.  It see to need too
> many additional downloads, like flash or a pdf reader.  It does not
> support mp3s, more downloads.  The Totem player needs codecs, more
> downloads.  And them sometimes, it just does not work.

Open formats in the mainstream means easier
adoption across the globe - including under-served and economically
challenged countries.

If we distribute it to someone who uses it in a commercial environment,
there is a chance, however small, that we might contribute to license
violation, exposing them and us to no small legal liability.

Additionally, that license does not allow us, a commercial vendor, to
redistribute without paying license fees.  There is literally no
effective way for us to determine exactly how many people are running
Fedora.  We have a rough idea based on yum updates and the like, but
that is not concrete.  Does it make sense for us to pay license fees for
software we're giving away?  From a touchy-feelie perspective, that
would be great, but as a business, that's a no-win situation.

--
Cheers,
Thomas Cameron