[SATLUG] 32-bit vs. 64-bit

pixelnate at gmail.com pixelnate at gmail.com
Thu May 22 09:38:44 CDT 2008

Hey guys, I recently made the leap to Hardy Heron by way of an upgrade
from Gutsy, and I am starting to think that I might want to do a clean
install instead, and I have a few questions about the
benefits/detriments of the 32-bit vs. 64-bit versions. I am currently on
a 64-bit install, and I have run into a few problems: I cannot install
Opera and the Flash plugin needs to use nspluginwrapper to work in a
64-bit Firefox., among others. So I am thinking about going back to a
32-bit system.

My laptop currently has 2GB of RAM and I want to upgrade to 4GB. Will
that be a problem with a 32-bit system? Will I be able to access all
that memory? Will my machine be any slower? Will the power management
give me any more battery life (long shot, but I had to ask)? Any there
any reasons why I should want to stay on a 64-bit system? Any real
benefits on a laptop?

Laptop specs: 1.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo T5250, 2GB RAM, Santa Rosa
chipset.

Thanks,

Nate