[SATLUG] 32-bit vs. 64-bit

Sean I siffland at nerdshack.com
Thu May 22 10:38:23 CDT 2008

On 5/22/08, Justin Burdette <justin.burdette at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running a dual-core Athlon64 with the 32-bit version of OpenSUSE 10.3.
> My machine has 4GB of RAM and no problems seeing it all. I haven't had any
> issues running anything, at least nothing related to the
> processor/memory/base OS. (Really, my only problem is no sound in Unreal
> Tournament and not being able to run Armagetron...but with WoW, I'm still
> happy)
>
> Justin

We "accidentally" installed 32 bit RHEL5 on one of our systems here and it
saw the first 16GB of RAM, Granted it was a PAE (??? Maybe that is it, can't
remember) kernel.  So it should support it.  Of course then we had to
reinstall with 64bit so we could see all 64GB of RAM cos we are greedy ;)

Sean