Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Fri May 23 02:45:16 CDT 2008

David Kowis wrote:
> Geoff wrote:
> <snip>
> | What I saw demonstrated at The National Cable show in the CableTech
> | booth (that I supervised the building thereof) was streaming HDTV.
> | 140+mbps download speeds.
> |
> | The reason Europeans have faster download speeds than we do here in the
> | US, is that there's more competition there, than what the FCC allows
> here.
> |
> | In EU, 10mbps is 'common' and 12 and 14mbps are quicker, "purchasable"
> | options.
> |

> yeah, I really really hate the lack of useful internet here. REALLY HATE.
> I'm overflowing with hate. >:|

When I see people is some of the usenet groups talk about downloading a
tv-show torrent in less than half the time it would take to watch the
40min episode, I get rather jealous.  Even at 7mbps, it takes me -hours-
to get hooked up on a torrent, and get it down, here.

I love my country, but my county has shot itself in the foot for the
last 30 years.
I'm contemplating the benefits of moving elsewhere.  Somewhere
temperate.  Somewhere like Costa Rica.  Doesn't take millions of dollars
to survive, temperature doesn't get past 88 for a high or below 65 for a
low, and there's plenty of beaches and sand and free healthcare.