[SATLUG] DOCSIS III

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Fri May 23 04:33:14 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:45 PM, David Kowis <dkowis at shlrm.org> wrote:

> Geoff wrote:
> <snip>
> | What I saw demonstrated at The National Cable show in the CableTech
> | booth (that I supervised the building thereof) was streaming HDTV.
> | 140+mbps download speeds.
> |
> | The reason Europeans have faster download speeds than we do here in the
> | US, is that there's more competition there, than what the FCC allows here.
> |
> | In EU, 10mbps is 'common' and 12 and 14mbps are quicker, "purchasable"
> | options.

There is some truth to that. There is also some truth to the fact that
"we taxpayers", paid for a huge pole and copper wire communications
infrastructure that both the telcos and the government are reluctant
to abandon.
Europe had less to work with.
It is also true that European governments believe in following the
will of the people more.
That is why a European cell phone rings in the USA and you only pay
for the minutes in calls you initiate. Not for minutes when someone
calls you. Pure greed supported by our govenment.
Asia had nothing at all so they are even more advanced than Europe in wireless.
Not sure if Asian governments pay any attention to the will of the
people at all?
Must be pure competition?