[SATLUG] wget frustration

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Fri May 23 10:30:59 CDT 2008

Daniel Givens wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 6:57 AM, Geoff <geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu> wrote:
>
>> I wish it -was- as simple as 'wget
>> http://path/to/desired/files/*.extention' but it's not.
>>

> On sites that have directory indexes turned on, it is that simple. An
> example would be to look at what's displayed at the following URL:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/
>
> That page is generated by the web server based on the contents of that
> directory on the server. Let's say you wanted every released version
> of the 2.6 kernel source that's in .bz2 format. Because directory
> indexes are enabled, you can use:
>
> wget -r -A bz2 http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/

that didn't do much of anything...

:> wget -r -A mp3
http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/HOUSTON-TX/KPRC-AM/
--10:20:37--
http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/HOUSTON-TX/KPRC-AM/
           =>
`a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/HOUSTON-TX/KPRC-AM/index.html'
Resolving a1135.g.akamai.net... 72.246.98.98, 72.246.98.112
Connecting to a1135.g.akamai.net|72.246.98.98|:80... connected.
10:20:37 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Removing
a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/HOUSTON-TX/KPRC-AM/index.html
since it should be rejected.
unlink: No such file or directory

FINISHED --10:20:37--
Downloaded: 0 bytes in 0 files

Now, of course what I -could- do is just right-click, copy link
location, paste it in the gui shell window and get 'em individually, but
who the hell wants to spend -that- much time?

Let me answer the obvious... "it depends on how much you wanna get into
the archived programs".  yeah, yeah...

I'm listening live, right now.  It's on from 5:30am till noon (helluva
morning show, eh?)

> I would suggest you look into getting hooked up with the actual RSS
> feed and use a podcasting application. You can only hope they include
> a nice long history of previous shows in the feed. Of course, you
> could spend your Memorial Day weekend Googling for archives.

Yup.  I signed up, but now need to search around for a podcast player.

> Take care and have a great weekend!

Every day of Freedom is a GREAT Day to Thank a Veteran!

To those of you who volunteered to defend our country and our rights to
choose whatever our little heart desires, I salute you, not only on this
Memorial Day weekend, but everyday.

--
-Geoff