[SATLUG] Fedora 9

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Sun May 25 06:45:02 CDT 2008

Hello, I'm going to take a break from the mailing list for a while, so you guys feel free to chit chat. I just saw that no emails had been sent, but I have zero tolerance for those emails of users calling me asshole, jerk, etc., but I'll let those go if they stop right now. I'm going to have to be more careful about speaking my mind and freedom of speech. Don't reply to this cause I'm taking a break from the mailing list, and I'm trying to make lifestyle changes such as not hanging out round bad influences, choosing my friends carefully. Thanks.

Chris

Robert Pearson <e2eiod at gmail.com> wrote: On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 6:07 AM, Chris Lemire  wrote:
> no comment. im let this one go, bad decision on my part to say anything against redhat or suse when there are a lot of users in this group using it.

Since I am an old retired guy with a lot of time and little money I
have been downloading and installing the Top 100 OS's from
DistroWatch.com. To date I have installed over 50 desktop OS's on my
four x86 machines. I have learned some very interesting things.
I stopped using Fedora Core at FC 6.0. I am not a "bleeding edge" user.
SuSE 9.3 became my "stable" trailing edge choice. I stopped using
openSUSE at 10.3. It is a resource pig on my old x86's.
It is also rotting at the core. Ubuntu 7.10 had much better core
features than openSUSE 10.x. Mostly due to its Debian heritage. Same
for PCLinuxOS and Mandrake/Mandriva.
I have stopped using Ubuntu at 8.04. I was really impressed with 7.10.
No so with 8.04.
There are no longer any "trailing edge" distros. Just different
"leading edge" ones.
Part of the reason for this is gamers. They are driving change.

Bottom line.
I don't disagree with the comments but there is no "rose garden" out there.
"You" are the glue.
To use any Linux you must be willing to put in the time to adapt it to
your needs. Any Linux.
That is the beauty of Linux. You can make it what you need. That is
what I loved about Unix.
That ability to accommodate change and be easily adaptable was a Unix
design goal.

People who have been unwilling or unable to "roll their own" OS using
Linux and clung to Microsoft as a "stable" OS are in for a rude
awakening. Steve Ballmer is no Bill Gates. The wheels are coming off
in Redmond.
You can actually adapt Microsoft but it takes a whole lot more time to
acquire the knowledge and money.