[SATLUG] Fedora 9

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Sun May 25 11:38:27 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 13:08 -0500, Robert Pearson wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 6:07 AM, Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > no comment. im let this one go, bad decision on my part to say anything against redhat or suse when there are a lot of users in this group using it.
> >
> Since I am an old retired guy with a lot of time and little money I
> have been downloading and installing the Top 100 OS's from
> DistroWatch.com. To date I have installed over 50 desktop OS's on my
> four x86 machines. I have learned some very interesting things.
> I stopped using Fedora Core at FC 6.0. I am not a "bleeding edge" user.
> SuSE 9.3 became my "stable" trailing edge choice. I stopped using
> openSUSE at 10.3. It is a resource pig on my old x86's.
> It is also rotting at the core. Ubuntu 7.10 had much better core
> features than openSUSE 10.x. Mostly due to its Debian heritage. Same
> for PCLinuxOS and Mandrake/Mandriva.
> I have stopped using Ubuntu at 8.04. I was really impressed with 7.10.
> No so with 8.04.
> There are no longer any "trailing edge" distros. Just different
> "leading edge" ones.
> Part of the reason for this is gamers. They are driving change.

I with about 99% of what you said.  However, I am not as convinced as
you are that gamers are having that much of an impact within the F/OSS
Linux community.  Outside of a few notable exceptions, such as warsow,
open arena, and the crysis server (only the server mind you) there are
not many notable (either in performance or popularity) native linux
games.  Sure there is Cedega and transgaming but these are glorified
wine apps.  OpenGL is good and all but unfortunately DirectX 10 is
quickly becoming the standard within the PC gaming arena. Until we see a
blockbuster open source game (IMHO a MMORPG) I honestly believe that the
gaming industry may be the one thing that prevents the demise of M$.
Until that day comes we gamers will either have to settle for sub-par
graphics and performance of wine adapted games (not to mention all the
hair pulling that goes into configuring wine properly for each game) or
choose to get our game on, with a tinge of guilt, with a wintendo box.