[SATLUG] New One

Dennis Myhand dmyhand at suddenlink.net
Sun May 25 17:39:11 CDT 2008

Mike Ester wrote:
> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Jim Parkhurst <JimParkhurst at austin.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>> At my work I get to support M$ <shudder> and we have some workstation
>> systems that do run 24/7.
>

> I support them, too. But, (in the interest of being fair) at least the
> server operating systems are better about not needing a reboot. I still have
> a Windows NT 4 server (yeah, go ahead and mock), and a Windows 2003 server
> going strong. They get the ocassional reboot when the power dies for hours
> (UPS shuts them down OK), but they keep going.
>
> Guess I'm spoiled by my Linux workstations that run 24/7 (barring lost
> power).

I have Windows Server and Linux systems at work and the Windows server
systems are a lot better about not needing to reboot all the time.  But
this issue with the XP desktop machine hanging sounds like something
other than the same old M$ failure to complete a task.  I have 16 XP
machines running in my classroom for a week at a time.  We have not had
this hanging shutdown problem.  My wife's XP system at the house runs
for over a month at a time.  Don't have a problem with it shutting down
when needed.  The problem described may be a config issue or a hardware
problem.  I remember when XP first came out that HP had M$ issue a patch
to fix hanging shutdown issues on their desktop systems.  I also
remember that that same patch worked really well to fix the same problem
for some Gateway laptops.  As much as I hate to say this, it may not be
Windows fault this time.  Peace, Dennis