[SATLUG] Fedora 9

Jonathan Hull masterr at gmail.com
Sun May 25 18:46:30 CDT 2008

On 5/25/08, Todd W. Bucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 13:08 -0500, Robert Pearson wrote:
>  > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 6:07 AM, Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  > > no comment. im let this one go, bad decision on my part to say anything against redhat or suse when there are a lot of users in this group using it.
>  > >
>  >
>  > Since I am an old retired guy with a lot of time and little money I
>  > have been downloading and installing the Top 100 OS's from
>  > DistroWatch.com. To date I have installed over 50 desktop OS's on my
>  > four x86 machines. I have learned some very interesting things.
>  > I stopped using Fedora Core at FC 6.0. I am not a "bleeding edge" user.
>  > SuSE 9.3 became my "stable" trailing edge choice. I stopped using
>  > openSUSE at 10.3. It is a resource pig on my old x86's.
>  > It is also rotting at the core. Ubuntu 7.10 had much better core
>  > features than openSUSE 10.x. Mostly due to its Debian heritage. Same
>  > for PCLinuxOS and Mandrake/Mandriva.
>  > I have stopped using Ubuntu at 8.04. I was really impressed with 7.10.
>  > No so with 8.04.
>  > There are no longer any "trailing edge" distros. Just different
>  > "leading edge" ones.
>  > Part of the reason for this is gamers. They are driving change.
> I with about 99% of what you said.  However, I am not as convinced as
>  you are that gamers are having that much of an impact within the F/OSS
>  Linux community.  Outside of a few notable exceptions, such as warsow,
>  open arena, and the crysis server (only the server mind you) there are
>  not many notable (either in performance or popularity) native linux
>  games.  Sure there is Cedega and transgaming but these are glorified
>  wine apps.  OpenGL is good and all but unfortunately DirectX 10 is
>  quickly becoming the standard within the PC gaming arena. Until we see a
>  blockbuster open source game (IMHO a MMORPG) I honestly believe that the
>  gaming industry may be the one thing that prevents the demise of M$.
>  Until that day comes we gamers will either have to settle for sub-par
>  graphics and performance of wine adapted games (not to mention all the
>  hair pulling that goes into configuring wine properly for each game) or
>  choose to get our game on, with a tinge of guilt, with a wintendo box.
>  Todd
>  --

Not many notable native Linux games? There are a lot. Just to name a
few commercial games

Unreal/UT/UT2k3/UT2k4 and soon to be UT3
Quake 1,2,3,4
Doom 1,2,3,3roe
Neverwinter Nights 1 and all expansions
Postal 2
Wolfenstein Enemy Territories
Enemy Territories Quake Wars
Second Life
Descent 3
Duke 3D
Metal of Honor Allied Assault
Myth II: Soulblighter
Savage 1 & 2
Soldier of Fortune
Tribes 1 & 2
Vendetta Online
X, X2

Just to name a few, and thats not all of them. So I wouldn't say there
not many. Sure, most are FPS and there is not many as the Winders
side, but it's quite a few. It's getting better over time, too. Valve
(Half Life) recently had a job listing for a person to port games to
Linux and there are still rumors that Blizzard may begin doing the
same (we can hope).