[SATLUG] Fedora 9

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Mon May 26 13:15:08 CDT 2008

> Not many notable native Linux games? There are a lot. Just to name a
> few commercial games
>
> Unreal/UT/UT2k3/UT2k4 and soon to be UT3
> Quake 1,2,3,4
> Doom 1,2,3,3roe
> Neverwinter Nights 1 and all expansions
> Postal 2
> RTCW
> Wolfenstein Enemy Territories
> Enemy Territories Quake Wars
> Second Life
> Descent 3
> Duke 3D
> Metal of Honor Allied Assault
> Myth II: Soulblighter
> Savage 1 & 2
> Soldier of Fortune
> Tribes 1 & 2
> Vendetta Online
> X, X2

Your list kinda proves my point.  Most of these games are several years
behind.  And with the notable exception of the id software titles
(Quake, Doom, and Wolfenstien) most game houses release their titles on
M$ and don't even think of offering a Linux version.  All one has to do
is look at any current issue of PC Gamer to see that Linux is not even
on the radar screen as far as games are concerned.  Please don't get me
wrong all of the above listed games are great but most have long since
been relegated to the bargain bin at EB Games.  Personally, I would like
to see a major gaming houses (other then id Software) begin to release
native Linux versions of their games concurrently with the M$ versions.
When this begins to occur I will be convinced of Linux having any sort
of impact upon the gamer arena; outside of the game servers of course.
Till then its suffer with wine or dual boot a wintendo and suffer with
M$.

Todd