[SATLUG] Lightweight Linux distros reviewed

Travis Runty trunty at gmail.com
Mon May 26 20:40:03 CDT 2008

I have been running Xubuntu 8.04 on my lappy for the past several weeks and
REALLY like it.  My laptops spec's are not that bad but Gnome still felt
sluggish (even with minimal effects enabled).  I have come to like XFCE so
much more than Gnome I am really considering making the switch on my work
computer as well.

BTW, on my lappy no issues with wireless (atheros) or 3d drivers.  IT JUST
WORKS! :)

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Todd W. Bucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net>
wrote:

> After installing a lightweight distro on my Dad's computer 2 weeks ago,
> I'd have to agree with his review of DSL and Puppy Linux.  Both seemed
> real fast on my dads PII's.  However I ended up going with XUbuntu as it
> seemed the best choice, given my father's computer literacy level.  In
> the last two weeks though he has only had to call me twice for help and
> he has especially excited with the increased performance that Linux
> breathed into his aging system.
>
> Todd
>
> On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 13:49 -0500, Don Crowder wrote:
> > Nate Turnage wrote:
> > > OSnews.com linked to a review of various lightweight distros. Enjoy.
> > >
> > > http://www.abzone.be/Review001_p001
> >
> > I couldn't get Arch, Zenwalk, TinyMe or Puppy to run on my P3 systems
> > but I pretty much agree with his assessment of Xubuntu and DSL.
> >
> > My favorite lightweights are TinyFlux...
> > http://pcfluxboxos.wikidot.com/tinyflux
> > followed by PC-BSD and KateOS.
> > http://www.pcbsd.org/
> > http://www.kateos.org/