[SATLUG] Video conferencing with DV camcorder & firewire

John Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Tue May 27 02:40:22 CDT 2008

I got an assignment to get video conferencing set up for a small school
system. To get started I have a Sony Handycam DV camcorder.
I have loaded the raw1394 module as well as dc1394... I also
have /dev/video1394 available as well.
What I have been able to accomplish so far is recording raw video & audio to a
file using dvgrab. I have tried getting vlc to grab live video & audio from
the camera with no luck at all.

I would like to be able to stream live video from the camera as well as to
capture to a file, hopefully encoding to other than raw.
If I can get this working, the plan will be to set up multiple cameras so a
teacher can have their lecture streamed to off-site classrooms as well as
take questions from students at the same time.

I have never done anything like this before, so I will require
some 'hand-holding'. Does anyone have experience with this?